Blue Badge Scheme - Parking for the Disabled
The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to your destination if you’re disabled.
The easiest and quickest way to apply for a Blue Badge is online. To apply online, you'll need:
- your National Insurance number
- driving licence number, if you have one
- a photograph that meets passport requirements. For more information on these requirements please see the Gov.uk website
- the number, expiry date and local authority given on your current badge, if you have one
Your Blue Badge will cost £10.
If you automatically qualify for a badge you should receive it within 28 days. If you need a walking assessment, your application may take up to 6 weeks to process.
Who to contact
- Blue Badge webpage
- Referral Details
People who automatically qualify for a badge:
A person over two years old who meets at least one of the following criteria:
- receives the higher rate of the Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance;
- receives Personal Independence Payment for being unable to walk further than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the 'moving around' activity of the mobility component);
- is registered blind (severely sight impaired);
- receives a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement; or has received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme, and has been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
People who may also qualify for a badge:
Some people may also be eligible for a badge if they are over two years old and either:
- has a permanent and substantial disability which means they cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult;
- drives a motor vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms, and is unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them).
- Other notes
Blue Badges are only valid for parking when the badge holder is either driving the vehicle or is being transported in the vehicle. The badge holder must be present when the vehicle is parked; if the badge holder has already been dropped off before the vehicle is parked the driver cannot use the badge.
- SEN Provision Type