Makaton Foundation Workshop for professionals and parents. Makaton, although originally designed for children and adults with learning difficulties, is now used in helping people with a wide range of communication, speech, language and literacy difficulties, including helping babies, toddlers and children whose first language is not English. Makaton is listed by the Communication Trust in its “What Works “ database of evidenced interventions to support children's speech, language and communication.
- The Foundation Workshop provides a detailed introduction to the Makaton Vocabulary
- Learn 280+ signs and symbols from Core Vocabulary Stages 1-4 and Additional Vocabulary
- Research into sign use, symbols design themes, the use and purpose of Makaton, and an overview of alternative systems of communication.
- Recommended for anyone who wants a comprehensive introduction to signing. No signing experience needed!
- "Awesome, professional, fun course delivered by and equally awesome, professional, fun dude!"
- "Loved it!! Peter has made it fun and informative "
- "Peter's Makaton course was outstanding! He was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. He made the understanding of the course very easy "
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Peter Rooney
- Contact Position
- Makaton Regional Tutor
- Makaton Training facebook page
I am an independent trainer and have worked with people with learning difficulties for 30 years. I provide a full range of Makaton courses for parents, families and professionals.
I have worked as a support worker, services manager, trainer and communication advisor in local authority and national voluntary organizations. I am an experienced trainer with a teaching qualification, a qualified Makaton Regional Tutor, and use Makaton on a daily basis both at work and at home with my teenage son who has Down’s syndrome and is on the autistic spectrum.
- £130 for Professionals £100 for Students £90 for Parents
- Referral required