Bus Pass / Concessionary fares

Middlesbrough Council logo

About the bus pass scheme

The national bus pass scheme allows all eligible persons to apply for a concessionary travel pass enabling them to travel for free on off-peak local bus services.

There are two categories of bus pass:

  • older person
  • disabled

Pass holders travelling anywhere within the Tees Valley (Middlesbrough, Stockton, Darlington, Hartlepool, and Redcar & Cleveland) can travel free of charge after 9:30am on weekdays and at any time on weekends, on production of the bus pass.

In the Tees Valley, pass holders will only need to pay a fixed fare of 30p for any journey starting before 9:30am, Mondays to Fridays. This fare will apply to all scheduled services operating within, from or between the areas covered by Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar & Cleveland and Stockton-on-Tees borough councils. Travel at any other time remains free of charge, and this fare price is only available to pass holders from the above authorities.

Travellers who hold passes issued by other authorities will need to pay full fare if they wish to travel before 9:30am or after 11pm, Monday to Friday.

If you want to travel further afield you'll need to contact the relevant local council to find out if they have any travel time restrictions. Your bus pass doesn't cover travel on private coaches or rail services.

Who to contact

Concessionary Bus Pass webpage
Scan to visit this website

Where to go

Middlesbrough House
50, Corporation Road
View TS1 2QQ on a map

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Office Hours 8.30am to 4.30pm (except Fridays 4pm)


Referral Details

There are several ways in which a person is eligible for a concessionary travel pass. If you are:

  • Blind or partially sighted
  • Profoundly or severely deaf
  • Without speech
  • Without arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  • Diagnosed with a learning disability (a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning)
  • Refused or had your driving licence revoked under part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, section 92 (physical fitness), with the exception of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol
  • With a disability or suffered an injury which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to walk.

If you're in receipt of the following benefits, the process is automatic upon production of entitlement as listed below;

  • Higher rate mobility allowance of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - we will require the front sheet which states the higher rate component and the expiry date of the award
  • Personal Independence Payment - you must score a minimum of 8 points in either communication or moving around. We'll need the point allocation sheet as evidence. We can't accept the front sheet only stating the enhanced mobility payment, but will require this for length of term.
  • War pension

If you're unable to produce evidence, or you aren't in receipt of the above benefits, we'll need to write to your doctor or a named medical professional for confirmation of eligibility. This process can take on average 6 weeks to complete. Please note, a charge may be made by your doctor for completing the form.

You can apply for a concessionary travel pass by completing the online form.

Page last reviewed: 23/02/2023


Save to My Shortlist
Share on Facebook
Share on WhatsApp
Is this information correct?
Skip back to top of page