Northern Counties School - Newcastle
Northern Counties School is a non maintained School situated within Newcastle upon Tyne. It provides all age (3-19 years) day and residential special education for children who have a hearing impairment or visual impairment, those with profound and multiple learning disabilities and autistic spectrum disorder all of whom require education, therapy and care within a specialist communication environment.
Northern Counties School is a strategic partner within the Percy Hedley Foundation’s Teaching School Alliance and we work in collaboration with a range of other schools, agencies and both Newcastle Universities to develop pioneering, best practice outcomes in education, therapy and care.
We offer a range of highly specialist provision which includes residential, short break, term time and 52 week placements. We currently provide 12 beds within the school grounds.
There are three distinct population pupil populations within our school provision;
- Sensory Impairment- hearing and visual.
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders- pupils with severe and complex ASD including challenging behaviour
- Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties-including medical conditions.
At Northern Counties School we believe that:
- All children and young people have the right to an education appropriately directed and managed to allow the fullest development of their personal, intellectual, physical, communication and social and emotional skills.
- All children and young people have the right to an education which provides equality of opportunity, recognises and respects individual needs, allows maximum access to a broad and balanced curriculum and ensures preparation for responsible adult life in society on leaving school.
- All children should be given the best opportunity to fully develop their potential and prepare for successful adult life through placement within a carefully defined and properly supported specialist communication environment.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Lisa Williams
- Contact Position
- The Head Teacher's Personal Assistant
- 0191 281 5821
- Northern Counties School Website
ARRANGEMENTS TO VISIT THE SCHOOL
Informal visits to the school are welcome at any time. Contact can be made by direct contact with the Head Teacher or through the Local Education Authority.
Ms Jo Allen
Mrs Claire Ramsay
Where to go
- Northern Counties School
Newcastle Upon Tyne
- NE2 3BB
- Local Offer Age Bands
11 -16 Years
16 -19 Years
Pre-Birth - 5 Years
5 -11 Years
- SEN Provision Type