Achieving 2 Year Olds (A2YO)
Your 2 year old may be entitled to a free early education place for up to 15 hours a week. Don't let your child miss out on the best start in life, give them the opportunity to make new friends, learn through play and have lots of fun!
Is My Child Eligible for a Free Place?
Yes if you are in receipt of one or more of the benefits listed below:
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under part 6 of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of the State Pension Credit
- Tax Credit and you have an income of £16,190 or less a year, before tax
- The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit - if you and your partner have a combined income from work of £15,400 or less a year after tax
- Your child gets Disability Allowance
- Your child is looked after by a local council
- Your child has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order
- Children of Zambrano Carers
- Children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
- Children of a subset of failed asylum seekers (supported under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 – ‘the 1999 Act’).
When Can Eligible Children Start their Free Place?
If your child's 2nd birthday falls between
|Free places are available from|
|1 January - 31 March||the start of the summer term (after Easter)|
|1 April - 31 August||the start of the autumn term (early September)|
|1 September - 31 December||the start of the spring term (early January)|
If eligible, you will need to make sure that your child is registered and attending your chosen childcare setting before the following headcount dates, in order for the setting to claim the funding from the Local Authority.
- Spring Term (2021) headcount 21st January 2021
- Summer Term (2021) headcount 20th May 2021
- Autumn Term (2021) headcount 7th October 2021
Please do not apply too early. The best time to apply is two months before your child's free place could start, refer to the table above.
Where can my child go?
View the list of Day Nurseries, Playgroups or Childminders registered to take your child. Not all childminders are on the Family Service Directory, for a full list of Achieving 2 Year Old settings contact the Family Information Service (see below).
View the list of schools registered.
How do I Apply?
You can apply online here
You will need the name of the person claiming the benefits, their national insurance or NASS number and their date of birth for completing the form.
If you are unable to complete the form online please use the downloadable version, right. Post to the address below or take it into your nearest Children's Centre.
When you complete the application you will be encouraged to 'Opt In' to joining your local Children's Centre. This has many benefits to you and your child. Find out more about Middlesbrough Children's Centres.
or telephone the Family Information Service on 01642 354200 or contact your nearest Children's Centre.
If you are receiving the Childcare element of Working Tax Credit
Please read Leaflet WTC5(2018) particularly page 14 'Changes you must tell us about'.
What Happens After I have Applied?
We will send you a letter to let you know whether you are eligible or not.
If you are eligible your letter will contain information on how to find childcare in your area.
Where to go
- Family Information Service