Achieving 2 Year Olds (A2YO)
Your 2 year old may be entitled to a free early education place for up to 15 hours a week. Don't let your child miss out on the best start in life, give them the opportunity to make new friends, learn through play and have lots of fun!
Is My Child Eligible for a Free Place?
Yes if you are in receipt of one or more of the benefits listed below:
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income related Employment & Support Allowance
- Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of the State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you are not receiving Working Tax Credit, and your annual household income is less than £16,191 (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs)
- Working Tax Credit and your annual household income is less than £16,190
- Universal Credit - if you and your partner are on a low income from work (this usually means a combined income of less than £15,400 a year after tax)
- Your child has a current statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, hHalth and Care Plan (ECHP)
- Your child gets Disability Allowance
- Your child has left care through special guardianship or an adoption or residence order
- Children of Zambrano Carers
- Children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
- Children of a subset of failed asylum seekers (supported under section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 – ‘the 1999 Act’).
If eligible, you will need to make sure that your child is registered and attending your chosen childcare setting before the following headcount dates, in order for the setting to claim the funding from the Local Authority.
- Autumn Term (2019) headcount 3 October 2019
- Spring Term (2020) headcount 16 January 2020
- Summer Term (2020) headcount 21 May 2020
When Can Eligible Children Start their Free Place?
If your child's 2nd birthday falls between
|Free places are available from|
|1 January - 31 March||the start of the summer term (after Easter)|
|1 April - 31 August||the start of the autumn term (early September)|
|1 September - 31 December||the start of the spring term (early January)|
Please do not apply too early. The best time to apply is two months before your child's free place could start, refer to the table above.
Where can my child go?
View the list of Day Nurseries, Playgroups or Childminders registered to take your child. Not all childminders are on the Family Service Directory, for a full list of Achieving 2 Year Old settings contact the Family Information Service (see below).
View the list of schools registered.
How do I Apply?
You can apply online here
When you complete the application you will be encouraged to 'Opt In' to joining your local Children's Centre. This has many benefits to you and your child. Find out more about Middlesbrough Children's Centres.
or telephone the Family Information Service on 01642 354200 or contact your nearest Children's Centre.
If you are receiving the Childcare element of Working Tax Credit
Please read Leaflet WTC5(2018) particularly page 14 'Changes you must tell us about'.
What Happens After I have Applied?
We will send you a letter to let you know whether you are eligible or not.
If you are eligible your letter will contain information on how to find childcare in your area.