Becoming an Adult

Becoming an adult can be a confusing time with lots of questions about what will happen when leaving school, starting work and thinking about independent living/leaving home. We want to help you make informed choices about your future, and help you improve your skills to become as independent as you can be.

Every young person must continue in some form of education or training until their 18th birthday, but for some young people with EHCP's, this can be even be up to their 25th birthday! Young people don’t always have to go to college, there are lots of different 'pathways' that can be taken. Check out some young peoples stories in our Resource Hub and find out what paths they have chosen. You can also find more useful information here to.


Transition and EHCP's

As young people grow up there are several key points of change, we call this ‘transition’. Preparing for adulthood is one of these times and it can come with new challenges and give young people lots new opportunities.

For young people with special educational needs and disabilities, the transition can take longer and needs more preparation. A key year to start thinking about this is during year 9.

For those young people with EHCP’s, the SEN Assessment team and your school will start asking young people, parents and carers about their thoughts for the future. This would then help with planning for leaving school, developing independence skills and paths to employment.

Types of Housing

There are lots of different types of housing and ways to find a home of your own.

Different types of housing:

  • Social housing. This refers to housing that is owned by the local council or a housing association. 
  • Private landlord. This means renting from someone who owns a property, and this could be an individual or an organisation. Private landlords may advertise their properties in letting agencies or estate agents, an advert in the local newspaper, on a sign outside the property, on the internet, or on a shop noticeboard.
  • Supported housing. There are various different types of supported and sheltered housing, some of which come with help from support staff.
  • Extra care housing. Extra care housing offers a way of supporting you to live independently for as long as you can. It means you are living 'in your own home' in a private apartment but with 24 hour care and support available on site.
  • Residential care homes. Residential care means having a room in a building shared with a number of other people. Twenty four hour care will be provided on site as will meals.
  • Home ownership. This is when you borrow money to buy a house and pay the money back over many years through a mortgage. You can also use your savings. You could inherit a home which could be yours alone or it could be left to you and your family.
  • Shared ownership. This is when a housing association owns part of your home and you own the rest. You have to pay rent to the Housing Association for the part you do not own and pay the mortgage for the part you do own.

There's lots of people who can help you stay independent, check out our list of useful resources

Video - What is a Supported Internship

Project Choice provide Supported Internships across Middlesbrough and the North East of England. Take a look and see what doors can open!

Useful Websites

Middlesbrough Council also have a website similar to the Local Offer but for adults. This website is called Middlesbrough Matters.

Take a look at Middlesbrough Matters, our service directory for people 18 and older.

Browse by subject

Skip back to top of page