Day Nurseries provide:
- All day care for babies and children up to the age of 5.
- Are generally open from 8.00am - 6.00pm but some run from 7.00am - 7.00pm or longer.
- Are usually open all year round, except for weekends and bank holidays.
- There are all kinds of nurseries - some are run privately, others by the local authority, voluntary or community groups, schools, colleges or employers.
- Looking after one or more children under the age of 8 for more than a total of 2 hours a day on domestic premises (normally in the childminders own home) for reward.
- Registering and undergoing inspection by Ofsted - demonstrating the quality and standards of their care.
- Being self employed, running their own business, and providing a service to the families whose children they care for.
Out of School Care provides:
- Care for school age children before and after school during term time and during holidays
- Often based in school premises, youth or community centres.
- Provide a range of enjoyable activities to suit older children.
Playgroup / Pre-schools offer:
- Play and education sessions for children from 2.5 years to 5
- Run by qualified members of staff
- Children usually stay for sessions of 2-4 hours
- A range of toys and equipment are provided for the children
The Family Information Service aims to provide accurate, high quality, accessible and impartial information, advice and guidance on all registered and unregistered childcare facilities and other services currently available in your local area. Also Advice and guidance to develop and deliver out of school activities, including breakfast clubs and after school clubs.