Accessing a Mainstream Base (Also known as ARP or SEN Unit)
In Middlesbrough, we have various bases in mainstream settings which provide additional support for children and young people with special educational needs. They are called either:
- SEN Units - special provisions within a mainstream school where the children with a specific type of SEN are taught mainly within separate classes
- Additionally Resourced Provisions are where places are reserved at a mainstream school for pupils with a specific type of SEN. Pupils may be taught mainly within mainstream classes, but require support of a base and some specialist facilities around the school.
The Local Authority has worked with the schools to describe the provision and the needs which are met in the settings concerned. You can view each guidance document in the righthand side of this page.
Children and young people are identified for possible consideration for a place by existing settings, educational psychologists or the SEN Assessment team, in consultation with parents/carers and young people.
On receiving an application, settings work with the LA through the ‘Place Planning’ process to establish which provider will be most appropriate to meet the need of the child. A place in another SEN provision does not guarantee a place in one of these settings. Places are allocated on the basis of need.
Parents/carers are advised to contact SEN Assessment team on (01642) 201831 if they have any queries regarding this matter.
- Base ARP Primary ASD 2018 (Beech Grove and Marton Manor)
- ARP Primary Visual Impairment 2018 (Sunnyside)
- Base ARP Primary Hearing Impairment 2018 (Sunnyside)
- Base ARP Primary HNB 2018 (Sunnyside)
- Unit ARP Infant Assessment Class 2018 (Easterside Academy and Hemlington Hall Academy)
- Unit ARP Primary (Physical and Medical) 2018 (Pennyman).
- ARP Secondary Hearing Impairment 2018 (The Kings Academy).
- ARP Secondary Physical and SL 2018 (Outwood Ormesby)
- ARP Secondary Visual Impairment 2018 (The Kings Academy).
- Unit ARP HLN Secondary 2018 (King’s, UCA, Outwood Acklam)