Sure Start Maternity Grant

Sure Start Maternity Grant 

If you’re on a low income and getting certain benefits or tax credits, you could get a Sure Start Maternity Grant (SSMG). This is a one-off payment to help towards the cost of having a baby. The grant is tax free and you don’t have to repay it and it won’t affect your other benefits or tax credits. 


You usually qualify for the grant if you’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth and have children already and you or your partner already get certain benefits (below):

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Universal Credit

If you’re not giving birth

You may also be able to get a grant if you’re adopting or becoming a surrogate parent.

The baby must be less than 1 year old on the date you claim. You must be receiving one of the benefits above and one of the following must also apply:

  • you’ve become responsible for the baby and you’re not the mother
  • the baby has been placed with you for adoption
  • you’ve got permission to adopt a baby from abroad
  • you’ve got a parental order for a surrogate birth
  • you’ve been appointed as guardian
  • you’ve an adoption or a residence order 

Time limits 

  • You can claim from 11 weeks before the week your baby is due.
  • The latest you can claim is 3 months after your baby is born.
  • if you’re becoming responsible for a child, eg through adoption, you must claim within 3 months of this happening (eg the child being placed with you). 

How much do you get? 

You can get £500 for each baby. Your savings won't affect the grant. 

How it's paid?

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into your bank, building society or credit union account. 

How to claim Sure Start Maternity Grant 

You can apply for a Sure Start Maternity Grant by completing claim pack SF100 (Sure Start). 

To get a claim pack: 

Telephone: 0345 603 6967 or 

Download a claim pack from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website 

This must be signed by your Health Visitor or doctor. 

Return your completed claim pack to:   Freepost DWP SSMG

You don’t need a postcode or stamp. 

You can also take the form to your local Job Centre Plus, but it can take longer to process. 

You’ll get a letter telling you if you were successful.

Page last reviewed: 26/07/2022


Skip back to top of page