Aspire Independent Support
Independent support is available to all children, young people and their parents/carers who are being assessed for an Health and Care plan (EHCP) - your Local Authority is working in partnership with Aspire Personalised Care Solutions to make this support available.
Aspire’s Independent Supporters are trained by the Council for Disabled Children (CDC) in the legal aspects of EHC assessment and planning, and they offer confidential one to one support to parents/carers and young people during the assessment process, independent of the Local Authority.
They focus on supporting children and young people aged 0 – 25 and their parents/carers through the EHC assessment and planning process. Using person-centred planning techniques Aspire’s Independent Supporters are experienced in helping families to record their views, wishes and goals using a wide range of communication and play aids, and in accompanying parents and young people to meetings to ensure they have a strong voice throughout the process.
You might just want a quick telephone discussion, or a meeting to ask some questions, or you may feel you would like support at each step of the SEND assessment process and/or to have an Independent Supporter with you at meetings.
You will be allocated a named Independent Supporter who will be available to meet with you, answer queries and provide support as and when you need it.
Independent Supporters can:
- Ensure that the views, needs and wishes of the child, young person and their parents/carers are reflected throughout the EHC assessment and planning process
- Act as a named contact person for the parent or young person throughout the assessment and planning process
- Explain assessment processes and timelines
- Help gather information required for EHC assessment and plan
- Explain the Local Offer
- Provide information about Personal Budgets
- Signpost parents and young people to the Local Authority’s SEN information, advice and support service and other agencies for general SEN information and advice.
Who to contact
Where to go
G10 Arch Workspace
- DH1 5JZ
Our Independent Supporters will meet you at your own home or somewhere local that suits you.
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday - Friday: 8.30am - 6.00pm
- No cost to children, young people or families
- Age Ranges
- 0-25 years
- Contact Name
- Jane Harrison
- Contact Telephone
- 0191 3753967
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
19 - 25 Years
11 -16 Years
16 -19 Years
Pre-Birth - 5 Years
5 -11 Years
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type